You’re already familiar with oil cleansers: those magical face washes specially formulated to melt makeup oh-so-effortlessly while feeding skin with all the nourishing goodness of a beauty oil. Oil scrubs are exactly that, only with the added exfoliating powers of a face scrub. Best of both worlds, right? Here are a couple ways to work these multitasking cleansers into your facial skincare regimen:
1. Use in place of your regular face scrub when skin is dry. Using oil scrubs is easy! We suggest using them in place of a traditional exfoliator like our St. Ives Fresh Skin Scrub whenever your skin feels extra dry. We especially love it for colder months when our skin is in need of extra moisture.
2. Use as a makeup remover. Similar to regular oil cleansers, oil scrubs are miraculous when it comes to melting off stubborn makeup. Thanks to lightweight yet skin-nourishing pure grapeseed oil, our oil scrubs are great for most skin types—even oily ones! Because grapeseed oil is a lighter oil, it’s less likely to weigh down skin and clog pores.
3. Use to prep skin before a sheet masks. Make sure to get the most out of any face mask by cleansing with an oil scrub beforehand. It removes all the daily grime on your skin. This ensures your face is perfectly primed to receive all the treatment’s benefits. Sheet maskers might notice that your skin looks and feels extra dewy when applying a sheet mask after using an oil scrub. This combination is extra effective because your skin drinks the hydration from the mask as the oils from the scrub work to seal the moisture in. Cool, right?
How to Use Oil Scrubs
Okay, so you know why and how you should work an oil scrub into your skincare routine. But hold up—what exactly are the actual face washing steps for how to use oil scrubs correctly? Here’s a quick guide:
1. Shake and squeeze a small amount (dime-sized is a good start) of Apricot Oil Scrub into *dry* hands.
2. Next, rub hands together to distribute oil evenly around palms.
3. Massage gently onto face (again, *dry*).
4. Now, add warm water, continuing to massage in small circles to emulsify the oil. Once it turns milky white, rinse with warm water.
5. When you’re done rinsing, pat dry with a towel and admire your soft, glowing skin!
Which oil scrubs are best for my skin?
Now that you know all about oil scrubs and how to use them, which ones are right for your skin? Certain oils might be more or less effective for you, depending on your skin type. To err on the side of caution, and to make sure you’re not risking clogged pores by choosing the wrong oil, we suggest sticking with a lighter oil like grapeseed oil.
Both our oil scrubs use 100% pure grapeseed oil, meaning that they’re completely non-comedogenic! For those who like a deeper clean, we suggest reaching for our St. Ives Apricot Oil Scrub, which is made with the same natural exfoliants as our iconic St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub. For everyone else, try the St. Ives Coconut Oil Scrub, which is made with crushed coconut shell powder to gently clean and soften skin. Here’s to more protected, better nourished, softer skin!